Looking back and moving forward

After competing in the Kuclo Classic last May 20th, I decided to continue the preparation and compete at the NPC Oklahoma Championship. Things were going pretty well and by the end of the first week post Kuclo Classic, I was confident that it would be an easy transition. Off course, everything changed on Sunday, May 28th when I woke up with a sore throat. I thought to myself: maybe I just snored a lot last night, it will get better. Woke up on Monday and it was getting worse, and some symptoms of sinus infection started to kick in. By Tuesday I was pretty much done, had to go to the hospital to get some medication, because I wanted to get better to drive to Tulsa on Friday.
It was the worse peek week that I ever had, couldn’t really train properly, and even my appetite was bad. However, I never, ever thought of quitting. I just wanted to get better and do the show. By Friday I was better, woke up with 188lbs and felt confident that by the time that I arrived in Tulsa I would be lighter. Done, during the weight in I was 182lbs, pretty much lost a bunch of water while driving from Dallas to Tulsa. Yes, I stopped many times to use the restroom, and I eliminated all sodium from my food on that day. The result? A good second place in the Master Classic Physique division:



While the result was great to me, the learning experience was amazing, because I really had to put a lot of effort to not give up, and that was pure mental toughness. Something that I’ve being training for a long time. On top of that, I was in Tulsa on my own, my family was not there. I drove by myself, and I had no one there to support me. But when I finished the show, I had a huge sense of accomplishment, because I did what I planned to do, and didn’t allow all the obstacles in my way to deviate me from my goal.

We all have this power within, but as anything we do in life, in order to externalize this power we have to constantly practice and train to get this power more solid and stronger. Many people give up on their dreams when they face the first obstacle. I came a long way to quit, and as long as I’m doing what I love doing, I will continue pursuing the best version of me, because this is my ultimate goal: beat the Yuri’s version from the last show, from last year, from my previous version. It’s always a battle of me against myself.

To wrap up this great season and in honor of everyone battling to conquer their own journey, here a nice video with the people that were always by my side.


I’m grateful to have them and thankful for my journey. But never satisfied, because the best is always yet to come!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The odd outcome